Dating experts advise that finding a suitable companion can take a lot of effort and easily be as time-consuming and involved as a career move, not to mention hard on your self-esteem. Dating is a numbers game; the more potential spouses you meet, the better your chance of finding a good one. Unfortunately, too many people give up looking too quickly. Finding a partner when you’re in recovery for sex addiction can be even more challenging. During this time, you must be committed to the changes you made so you can find a partner that brings balance and growth to your life. Keep reading for some healthy dating tips and some things to avoid.
At Recovery Ranch Tennessee, we know recovering from sex addiction can be difficult—especially if you want to find a partner to connect with. Our sexual addiction recovery center helps you build a solid foundation so you can build meaningful, healthy relationships with people without the pretense of unhealthy sex. Learn more by calling us today at 1.844.876.7680.
Why Is Dating Hard for Some?
Common scenarios that lead to dating despair include the emotionally needful person consistently getting her heart broken by getting serious or sexual too quickly with the wrong match. Or, just as problematic, the superficial or inexperienced dater who, using dating as a metaphor for casual sex, ultimately becomes more experienced than in forming meaningful partnerships.
Healthy Dating Tips
- Date a lot – Let yourself be casual about the process and meet as many potential partners as you can.
- Consider a personal card – Keep your name, number, or social handles on it. They’re great for a quick introduction.
- Try different ways of meeting potential dates – If you have never met someone online or attended a dating club—try it out. Let yourself go into a store or restaurant to meet someone; give it a shot. You never know where that someone might be just waiting to find you.
- Let your friends and family know that you are looking.
- Look at your dates as potential friends. Ultimately, having a solid friendship is how you build anything long term.
- Try to learn about the person you are dating – Find out their passions and interests. Make sure to focus on them as much as you share yourself.
Dating Practices to Avoid
- Don’t date someone if you’re not attracted to them – No matter how good they look on paper, you need to feel attracted to them.
- Don’t be withdrawn or secretive – Being honest with a potential partner can help build trust and establish the foundation for a mature relationship.
- Don’t be late for a date – showing up late to a date can be disrespectful. Instead, show up early or let them know if you’re running behind.
- Don’t try to be someone that you’re not or try to show off just to keep them interested.
- Don’t push to have sex quickly or let yourself be pushed – If it is the right person, there will be plenty of time for that.
- Don’t ghost people or become uncommunicative – If you aren’t attracted to them or do not feel like they are a good match for you, be open about it. This will help you build better bonds with those you do care about.
Above all, trust your feelings. Notice if you are being treated well and having fun. Notice if you feel respect for them and if you share similar values. If it isn’t working out, move on. Despite what all the popular heartbreak songs say, there really are many people out there who could be the one.
Sex Addiction Treatment at Recovery Ranch Tennessee
At Recovery Ranch Tennessee, we understand the challenges of living with sex addiction and how difficult it can be to find meaningful relationships without unhealthy sexual activity. Our experienced and compassionate team provides comprehensive treatment programs designed to help individuals suffering from sex addiction.
Our treatment plans are tailored to meet the needs of each individual patient—addressing all aspects of the addiction, including physical and psychological, as well as underlying issues that may be contributing to the behavior.
We can help you take back control of your life and build a positive relationship with yourself and others. Contact us online or by calling 1.844.876.7680 today for more healthy dating tips and how we can help you in your recovery.