What It Is:
The 12-Step Trail is a nature trail set amidst the towering trees and rolling hills of The Ranch’s Tennessee campus. The trail features 12 separate campsites, one for each of the 12 Steps, where clients can spend time journaling, meditating and reflecting on their own path to recovery.
How It Helps:
The 12-Step Trail brings the recovery journey to life, giving clients the opportunity to explore the 12 Steps in a new and unique way. Clients gain insight into their recovery while connecting with nature, their higher power and themselves by physically walking the path to recovery. The heavy symbolism of the 12-Step Trail also helps clients process what they’re learning in addiction treatment. At each campsite, clients have the opportunity to burn away the wreckage of their past by writing down their past transgressions, failures and fears and then feeding them to the fire. Clients can also create their own personal altars that reflect what each step means to them. Being able to physically recreate the feelings they have for each part of their recovery can help to solidify the importance of each step on their overall journey.
Clients find they feel more connected to themselves, their spirituality and their recovery after spending time on the 12-Step Trail. Clients have the time and space to reflect on their journey in a beautiful setting. This can help to strengthen their commitment to change and help them process the challenging emotions that often come up in early recovery. Benefits include:
- Increased spiritual connection
- Better understanding of the 12 Steps and how they contribute to the recovery journey
- Increased commitment to fully working the steps
- Ability to let go of past trauma and fears
- Opportunity for quiet reflection, meditation and journaling
- Increased feelings of serenity
- Deeper connection with the recovery community
- Deeper insight into themselves and contributing factors to addictions and mental health disorders