Extreme anxiety, paranoia, hallucinations, psychosis, death — these are only a few of the hidden dangers of designer drugs. If you haven’t yet used a designer drug, now is not the time to begin. These synthetic party drugs do everything except encourage a good time. In fact, they’re quite dangerous because only the shady chemist who mixed them knows what’s really hidden inside. You may be expecting a simple lift to your mood. But, what you end up getting instead is an unhealthy dose of known toxins that could very well cause your death. If you’ve been experimenting with designer drugs such as Ecstasy, Molly, or Meth, we can help you stop before something terrible happens. We’re Recovery Ranch of Tennessee, and we’ve helped hundreds of clients just like you find their way back from the dangers of designer drugs.
Designer Drugs Defined
Designer drugs have many names. They’re often called synthetics, party drugs, or club drugs, due to their prevalence of use in nightclubs. They mimic the effects of opioids, benzos, hallucinogens, or tranquilizers. However you want to warp your mood, there’s a man-made drug out there to do it. Unfortunately, results are hit-or-miss at best. You may find the euphoric high all your friends are talking about. Then again, you may find yourself stretched out in the local ER, desperately willing your heart to keep beating. These are the inherent dangers of designer drugs. Drugs such as these are cooked up by people who aren’t medical professionals. The drugs often boast a plant base to which chemicals have been added. Because of this, people think they’re safe to use, when, in reality, they’re anything but.
Specific Dangers of Designer Drugs
The list of designer drugs available grows by the day, but some of the most prevalent ones have become household names. These include:
- Spice/K2 — Once sold over-the-counter in gas stations and convenience stores, Spice is now illegal to possess or distribute. It contains hosts of chemicals, including synthetic cannabinoids that can cause rapid heart rate, high blood pressure, heart attack, and hallucinations
- Bath Salts/Vanilla Sky — Makers of bath salts label them as other things, such as jewelry cleaner or plant food. However, people somehow still understand what they’re for. Bath salts mimic the effects of stimulants and may cause increased sex drive, euphoria, or paranoia. Bath salts can make you violent or take away your inhibitions. This may lead to your death or to the deaths of others when you walk out into traffic, step out a third-story window, or try to defend yourself against a friend who you suddenly fear is trying to kill you
- Molly/Ecstasy — Molly is a psychoactive drug that has both stimulant and hallucinogenic properties. It has the ability to interfere with the way your body regulates temperature. In high-enough doses, it can cause your body to overheat and your important organs to fail
Many more drugs fall under the umbrella of synthetics — Flakka, LSD, Meth — and all have the ability to cause you harm. One of the worst, Krokodil, has Russian origins. It’s derived from chemicals such as paint thinner, gasoline, and lighter fluid. Krokodil gets its name from the scaly, crocodile-like damage it does to your skin. This damage can result in gangrene, amputation, or death.
Help Is Available at Recovery Ranch in Tennessee
When you’re ready to seek treatment for drug and alcohol addiction in Tennessee, Recovery Ranch is waiting to welcome you. Situated adjacent to the Piney River in Nunnelly, Recovery Ranch offers a spacious, sprawling campus that’s nestled snugly into the rolling foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. Scenic and peaceful, Recovery Ranch provides a beautiful place to rest and heal from the dangers of designer drugs. At Recovery Ranch, we offer a full range of therapeutic services, including:
- Inpatient and outpatient drug rehab
- Treatment for trauma and PTSD
- Care for mood disorders
- Therapies for anxiety
- Dual-diagnosis treatment
When you’re ready to change course for the rest of your life, we’ll provide the compass. Call Recovery Ranch today at 1.844.876.7680 for help to take that first, most difficult step. We’re here, and we’re listening. All you have to do is ask.